Since then a great deal has happened at the DYC with slow or more rapid pace affected by major events in social and economic history. Significant stages in the story of the sailing on the Deben and in the development of the club are listed below. More details of the 150 years from 1838 to 1988 can be found in “The Deben Yacht Club and Deben Sailing Club – 1838 to 1988” , written in 1988 by the late Geoffrey Brown and published by the club to mark the 150th anniversary of its formation.
500AD Settlers fish the ‘White Water’ (Deben) stream
800s Deben river is used to transport supplies, for example for the Court of King Raedwald at Rendlesham
1200s Mouth of the Deben river is a haven used by travellers on the North Sea
1500s River walls were established to control flooding and height of tides at Woodbridge
1590s Shipbuilding at Woodbridge and nearby provided ships to combat the Spanish Armada
1600s Start of ‘yachting’ as a pleasurable activity for Royalty and the very wealthy
1634 Launch of the largest trading ship built at Woodbridge, the 700 ton ‘Goodman’.
1675 Launch of the largest warship built at Woodbridge, the 663 ton ‘Kingfisher’
1700-30 Wartime insecurity limits sailing on the river largely to fishing and transport
1730s Emergence of leisure sailing for the wealthy, for example at Harwich
1740s Woodbridge working craft are modified with additional seats for leisure sailing
1780s Anti-smuggling laws require that boats display their names clearly
1784 First Regatta race is sailed from Woodbridge to Bawdsey and back for a Five Guinea Silver Cup
1800-30s Napoleonic Wars and economic insecurity again limit leisure time and the uses of sailing
1838 Formation of the ‘Deben Yacht Club’ (DYC) for the Coronation year Regatta at Woodbridge
1840s DYC races and Regattas become established as annual Woodbridge events
1846 A water colour artist depicts the Regatta at Woodbridge – now displayed in the DYC clubhouse
1851 A tragic accident marrs the second race of the DYC season
1852 A DYC member sets a local standard in cruising by sailing to Holland
1855-70 Races and cruises continue with yachts owned mainly by local businessmen and celebrities
1870s Cost of timber rises so boat building slows
1879 John Loder pays for ‘Loder’s Cut’ – to ease the passage of cargo boats into the Woodbridge pool
1886 DYC enthusiasts encourage small boat owners by reforming under the name ‘Deben Sailing Club’
1887 The club flag is agreed by its committee – a dark blue pennant with a white ball
1889 Alfred Everson is appointed as timekeeper, using 12-bore shotgun to start races
1890 Yacht Racing Association rules adopted by the club, introducing handicap racing
1897 A proposal was made to build a clubhouse at Bawdsey Ferry, but it was not implemented
1899 Course beacons are established by the river pilots along the length of the Deben
1902 Club receives a copy of ‘Lawson’s history of the first 50 years of the Americas Cup’ in recognition of members’ close interest in the international event
1906 After a gap of six years, sailing club members resuscitate the Regatta
1911-14 The club survives a period of financial difficulty and racing continues until the start of the Great War
1914-18 Meetings and racing suspended for the duration of the war
1919 Club racing restarts but grows only slowly as a result of the wartime loss of many members and boats
1919 An enthusiatic Deben Sailing Club member, Max Blake, becomes shipyard manager in Singapore, revives interest there in leisure sailing, and becomes Commodore of the Singapore Yacht Club
1920-30s Post-war economic depression slows recovery of UK leisure sailing
1923 Honorary Secretary Leonard Hayward revives interest in the club by offering to train young people
1924 New dinghy, the ‘Cherub’, built by neighbouring Everson’s boatyard makes the club more popular again with young Woodbridge people
1928 To build interest further the Club reverts to its original name, the ‘Deben Yacht Club’
1930 Max Blake returns to Woodbridge from Singapore. His club there has become the Royal Singapore Yacht Club (now called the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club) and sends a gift to the Deben Yacht Club to buy a new sail racing silver Trophy. Club designates it as the ‘Singapore Cup’
1934 A small DYC Clubhouse is erected on the present site, supported by 25 piles
1939-45 Sailing on the river is largely suspended for the duration of World War 2
1948 Another new class of dinghy is introduced, the 14 foot clinker built ‘Kingfisher’ class made by Everson’s.
1965 DYC starts collaboration with local authority water sports trainers
1969 Mirror class dinghies become established at the DYC.
1974 Wayfarer class dinghies become established at the DYC.
1976 The Clubhouse is extended by adding piles and building at both ends.
1992 Rising water levels force the raising of the river wall by one metre. The club acquires a slipway and space for a dinghy park adjoining the clubhouse. It also allows the local authority to shares its new launching facilities
1997 High tides begin to flood the clubhouse floor so DYC lengthens all clubhouse piles and lifts the building by one metre
2004 Club acquires RYA “Champion Club” status
2006 Approval is granted by the local authority for major extensions of the clubhouse and renovation of the slipway
2007-09 Global economic conditions greatly increase cost of building materials and slow plans for building
2010 Clubhouse balcony extended and new pontoons and access ramp installed with financial assistance of The Crown Estate
2011 Club acquires Community Amateur Sports Club (CASC) status. Local authority closes neighbouring sail training centre so club negotiates to acquire 15 of its boats, and to take over some of its training work.
2012 A new slipway is built with financial assistance of Sport England, establishing a part of the 2012 Olympic Heritage on the river in Woodbridge.
2013 Slipway is completed and ready for the club’s 175th season, and is opened on 13 April by Lord Deben
2014-15 Clubhouse changing rooms completely upgraded and enlarged to include disabled facilities; opened by the mayor on 10th May 2015. Up to 25 club dinghies now available for use by members.