Corona Virus Update – Tuesday 19/05/2020
The Deben Yacht Club wishes to encourage recreational dinghy sailing as much as possible and so members are now free to sail at any time in their own boats but there will be no safety cover or other support. The clubhouse gate will remain locked until it is made safe to go onto the veranda and pontoons , but with immediate effect members wishing to sail can now do so following this advice:
- If you have symptoms of virus do not sail.
- Members classed as vulnerable should not sail.
- Tell someone when and where you intend to sail.
- Change into sailing gear at home.
- Social distancing – members should keep suitable separation in the dinghy park, launching ramp and elsewhere on club premises.
- Members should follow the advice about limited contact
- Meet with householders freely,
- One non householder only at social distance.
- Sailing in company with other boats is allowed.
- Avoid touching face, mouth and eyes.
- Wash hands frequently.
- Avoid face to face contact with non householders even at social distance.
- When planning their voyage, minimize risks to themselves and others:
- Stay close to the club,
- Only sail in good weather conditions,
- Be aware of the state of the tide.
- Take care on the very slippery ramp; it has not yet been cleaned.
- After sailing you may wash down your boat using the dinghy park hose.
- Please follow any other advice displayed at the club.
Access to the pontoons
Since the slight relaxation of the Corvid19 shutdown we have been following guidance from the government and RYA about opening shared spaces to prepare for safe access across our veranda and onto the pontoons. Hand sanitisers and marking tape are on order. Once that is delivered, we will erect signs, install the hand cleaner and tape routes for pinch points on the veranda.We want to provide a route to the pontoons that complies, as best we can, with the available guidance and intend to open the veranda by June 1st or a day or two earlier if possible.
Organised events remain cancelled
All our organised events are cancelled until further notice. This includes all racing, training refresher sessions and training courses plus OnBoard as well as our planned social events.
The ClubHouse itself will remain locked
We are a family friendly club and welcome all new members, whether you’ve never set foot on a boat or are an experienced sailor.
We offer a full calendar of events throughout the sailing season including a mixture of dinghy and yacht racing, flotillas and leisure sailing, all supported by our safety boat team.
We are an RYA Training Centre and offer a number of sailing training courses for cadets and adults. We also carry safety boat courses to members
It’s easy to store and launch your boat – we have a large dinghy park and slipway and 21 moorings. Don’t have a boat? Don’t worry – we have over 30 club boats for members to use, including Toppers, Topper Argos, RS Qubas, RS Fevas, a Laser and Wayfarers.
To get a feel for the club and the wide range of activities we offer, please explore our website and take a look at our Newsletters.
For more information or enquiries about joining the club, contact membership secretary, Frances Alexander on 01394 385221